Monday, 13 January 2014

Barnsley, Barnsley Town Hall, Barnsley

Barnsley Chronicle 17 October 1925
The unveiling of the War Memorial
(thanks to Barnsley Archives)

War Memorials Online listing

War Memorials Archive listing

Description from the Public Art Research Archive

A complex stone cenotaph. The facade facing Church Street has a carved stone wreath above the main inscription. The 2.4 m high bronze statue on top of the cenotaph shows a helmeted infantryman in a greatcoat, his rifle grounded, standing at ease. On the rear facade, facing the Town Hall, is a panel showing the winged female figure of Victory. She holds a standard, topped by a wreath, in her left hand and a grounded shield in her right. The shield is decorated with a head.Width of the cenotaph is 550 cm and the depth 330 cm. The width of the relief panel at the rear is 110 cm and its height is c. 210 cm. Total height of the monument is c. 8 m. 

Inscriptions: These are all cut into the stone and picked out in gold paint:

On the right side: ' THEIR NAME / LIVETH FOR EVERMORE '
On the front facade: ' IN / HONOURED MEMORY / OF / THE MEN AND WOMEN / OF / BARNSLEY / WHO / LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES / IN / THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918 / ______ / 1939-1945 '


Commission: War Memorial Sub-Committee of Barnsley Town Council selected the site, raised the money by public subscription and organised the erection of the monument. It was unveiled Sunday, 11th October, 1925 by General Sir Charles Harington, G.B.E., K.C.B., D.S.O.

References: [1] 'Unveiling of the Barnsley War Memorial: Programme of Arrangements' Leaflet produced by County Borough of Barnsley. 1925.

There are no names on this memorial.
Barnsley Chronicle 17 March 1923
(thanks to Barnsley Archives)

We have found a reference in the Barnsley Chronicle of 1922 to the collection of names to be "inscribed on vellum and preserved with the records of the Borough in the Town Hall".  This statement is repeated in a promotional leaflet about the War Memorial issued by the then Mayor, Sam Jones the same year.

In 1923 the Town Clerk (see right) advertises on several occasions in the Barnsley Chronicle asking for names to be submitted to compile this roll.  

However, as yet, Barnsley Archives are unable to find any further record that this roll was created.  We are still searching.

No comments: